Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Update from today

Good evening friends!

Today was a good day.  Another day of discovery and a day to have loads of questions answered.  Dwayne and I met with the neurosurgeon today, Dr. M, who was very confident.  That's exactly what I want in my neurosurgeon: confidence!!!

We started with looking at the most recent scan images (from Friday's MRI) where it was apparent that I clearly have a tumor the size of a small orange in my head.  We moved on to how he would remove the tumor and where the incision and bone removal would be.  I was paying such close attention to the actual areas of the incision, that I didn't hear him explain that it would be like removing an orange from the inside out: soft centre first, with outer "rind" last.  When we got in the car later, Dwayne was very surprised that he'd used that lingo, because we call it a Mandarin.  Funny!

Dr. M said a few times that it was likely benign, however that will be confirmed during the surgery. He also stated that the location of Mandarin is "very lucky".  Easy to access and not attached to a major motor center or other critical hard to reach area of the brain.  There are of course risks, "It IS brain surgery", he said.  Some of the risks are so low, that I'd have a better chance of being hit by a car, so we won't be dwelling on the risks.  Actually, one thing he did say was I couldn't vacuum for 3 months following surgery (I'm going to roll that into dishes as well!!).

Surgery will happen within the next 2-4 weeks, depending on emergent cases (mine is urgent, not emergent). I will have 3-4 days in the hospital and then a month at home convalescing.  I'll be required to have a CT Scan at 3 months and then at a year and every year for 5 years following.  The likelihood of the meningioma reoccurring is very slim.


Meningioma in the right frontal temporal lobe. It's smiling for the camera!!  It's changed the mid-line of my brain, no wonder I've been getting such bad headaches.



Sideview (eye in center, tumor to the top)

While this has me nervous, I'm not scared.  Today's emotions were a bit raw, more real.  Maybe because Dwayne was with me and I felt like I could just be in the moment.  Maybe because now it's really real.  It's not like it's brain surgery....oh wait...it is.


Thank you to everyone for the kind texts, messages, prayers and thoughts.  It is amazing to be surrounded by love from so many wonderful friends!

Love 
Diane xo













3 comments:

  1. Darn photos won't load but I have seen MRIs of brain tumor's before. Not something we want to be versed in, is it? So happy to continue to hear good news- You know what they say... location, location, location. The one thing you can't change! Such a HUGE tremendous blessing that it's accessible and love the analogy used by the doctor. Too funny!

    Love you all and beaming healthy, mandarin squishing thoughts your way xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww shucks...no vacuuming. That's a bummer. ;)

    Praying that you'll be able to get in for your surgery sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After brain surgery patients are very sensitive to noise. It's best to tell everyone around you to be still and calm. I'm a mom of a brain cancer patient. He yelled a lot afterwards. This also happens to PTSD patients and people with severe concussions. My son had a shunt, I don't know if you will, but during the night he became delirious and tried to pull it out. He was on drugs for pain so his digestion stopped. Make sure in advance of your options. Keep someone in the bathroom afterwards who is strong as if you get dizzy or faint (preventative) someone other than a nurse can make sure you don't get hurt. I caught my son as the nurses would have been unable to catch him (He's 6 foot 3 and they were 5 foot 1). Keep someone there ( if possible) at all times to talk to doctors as you will be unable. Please take it easy afterwards and focus on yourself completely. Your daughter will adapt. Best of luck and all my prayers.

    ReplyDelete