Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Home for a week

Well, it's been a climb, to say the least (and I don't mean I'm even doing stairs yet!!).  

When I came home my family and friends rallied to help with my adjustment to a weaker me. Furniture moved for new sleeping arrangements,  as I couldn't lay down for the first few days home.   I've since transitioned into bed and am finding new ways of sleeping that don't include my favorite ways of sleeping (as that's where my incision continues to).  I've found out I have 42 staples and a 8- 9" incision that goes from the mid spot in front of my right ear all the way up and over to the outside of my left eye, far larger than I'd expected. Yesterday, I got to remove the dressings and wash my whole head! Yes, I've showered but only able to get the back of my head wet. 

I have never enjoyed a shower so much!!!!

I'm getting on with rehab'ing my body now, oh how quickly the muscles forget what they're supposed to be doing! Yesterday, I walked to the end of the driveway, about 200', so I'm making progress.  I'm still using a wheeled walker for stability but that's going to be gone by Friday, or so I'm determined.  My face is still swollen with much bruising around and under my eyes as well as my forehead and down my right side. Today was another step down from my steroids, so I'm only at 2x a day (rather than 4x a day when I left the hospital).  I'll be thankful to be off meds fully.  Another 8 days of weaning off and then I'll be done!!  Staples don't come out for another week but at least they're clean and easy to cover with my new hats and scarves.

Today, as I sit in my chair with sun beaming in the window, I'm so thankful for so much. My family that loves me, my friends and family who visit for tea and understand when I can't focus on what they're saying anymore, the amazing people who are blessing us daily with meals. I can't even describe what it's like to have a healthy dinner just arrive.  Sarah doesn't need it be the Mama, Dwayne doesn't arrive exhausted from work and then have to figure out dinner, and Cam, well, we're all in a new state of normal. Maybe it's time for my own boundaries to change!?

Also, today and for many coming weeks/months, may I ask a favor.  Please keep my friend 
Kristin in your thoughts and prayers.  Kristin is my dear friend.  In a way I can't describe.  She's the one who accompanied me to meet the neurologist the first time for my diagnosis, she's one of my 'people'.  Kristin has been on a journey, and today her journey continues with chemo.  Please follow her at canadiankristinconnected.blogspot.com, leave messages of encouragement or just uplift her when you can.  This woman is amazing and I do so love her.

Well, that's the update for now.  

Have a happy day with sunshine and fall colors!

Xo Diane 

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you're improving! Praying for you AND Kristin every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely picture of you and Sarah. Makes me wanna cry - a happy cry though :) So thankful you are on the mend. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete