Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Home again, Home again jiggity jog!

Silence, the best way to get some sleep!

I was able to arrange a trip home yesterday from RCH, after seeing Dr M, physio therapy, and the social worker.  Doc was a bit skeptical with my mobility and stability but physio had cleared me and after speaking to Dwayne, Sarah and myself, the social worker was convinced that my family was more than ready to be my primary caregivers. Fortunately, my family can also have a convincing argument about the existence of Unicorns, so they were well prepared for this discussion.

I was happy to give my bed and room to a new patient and allow them to recover with ease.  The nurses on the neuro ward were (for the most part) amazing!!!  I became mobile quicker than the others in the step-down area (extra special observation area for those of us that are extra special!!), so the nurses weren't needing to pay as much attention to me as some of the patients (one who had to be restrained as an example).  I suppose that's a good thing.

Once I was released, it took me quite some time to get dressed and gather the strength to head home.  Dwayne and Sarah got the paraphernalia organized and packed up.  My nurse gave me the last of my medications and sent me on my way. No more free drugs.

The ride home was tough.  Oddly, I was emotional and scared.  Would my family be able to do this?  Could I remember to ask for help?  Would I try to go to fast?  Would I want to see people or would I be able to say no when I really needed to?   So many things to think about.  Dear friend Daniella dropped off a walker (yes, I use a walker), shower chair and some other items for my home needs (provided by her mother-in-law,Wendy, from the Red Cross loan cupboard) by the time I got home yesterday.  It has made getting around so much easier. Thanks D!

Dwayne and the kids had been anticipating my arrival and had moved furniture to accommodate my new sleeping needs.  I can't lay flat for the first few days while my head/facial swelling is being resolved, so one of our large recliners is now in bedroom for restful sleep.  My first night back was an adjustment for all of us.  Dwayne was very attentive through the night, up whenever I needed anything or even moved to adjust a blanket.  What a great guy!

Sarah spent the day with me today, attending to my every whim.  Today was spent dozing, napping, and a brief visit with my friend Lisa, who dropped off some much needed fresh fruit, and snacky items. Kristin, my dear friend of constant support, and amazing listening abilities, also stopped by for a short visit.

At this point my days will be spent not doing much except working on my recovery.  Visitors are welcome on a limited basis, depending on my pain and how tired I am.  Please do not be offended if the answer is no, or just not right now.  As the weeks go on, I'll be getting myself stronger and able to visit for longer and more.

Thank you again, from the bottom of our hearts for all of your love and support as well as the amazing meals that arrive nightly.  What a blessing to be loved on like that so I don't have to worry about getting meals done.

Love and hugs,
Di xo


2 comments:

  1. What a gift to have such a wonderful family to take care of you when you need it most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're back home and in good hands! Thinking of you still! Peter, Lucy, Hannah & Emily!

    ReplyDelete